Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain and sprockets

Go down

Chain and sprockets Empty Chain and sprockets

Post  Guest Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:57 am

I bought my xrr last fall and it needs a new chain and sprockets. I was wondering what brands people who have had the bike for a while are having sucsess with. I'm also interested in tips on who to buy from.
Tim

Back to top Go down

Chain and sprockets Empty Re: Chain and sprockets

Post  Guest Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Dirt Tricks (previously known as IronMan) makes a bomb proof steel sproket that will outlast any aluminum gear 8 to 1, but they cost over $100. Gotta google for the best current price on the others such as sunstar, renthal, moose, all about the same quality. I will not use an aluminum sproket on the pig; I have one (sunstr) that has 800 miles on it and there are only 13 teeth left out of 48. listen up

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:17 pm

listen up I have Primary Drive Chains on one of my CR500's and I have the chain & sproket kit on my CR85 Supermoto and have been very happy with them. I think its the best bang for the buck chain & sprokets out their. I bought one for my brother in law about two years ago and its holding its own and he rides a lot around 80 miles a day on his XRR. I don't have one on my XRR yet as the chain on it is new but I have one sitting in the garage waiting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Ironman sprockets. Onoff has best price I've found 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Ferdinand wrote:Ironman sprockets. Onoff has best price I've found 2 thumbs

Ironman
+1 nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 am

Yep ,Ironman set up is hard to beat... but the primary drive setup for under 100 bucks works real well when your on a budget nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Ok guys bit of advice please. Sprockets are starting to get abit tired, and I've lost a tooth. I ride mostly tight rocky trails with abit of forestry tracks thrown in. Currently using 14 47 if I counted right scratch Use only the first three gears normally. What shall I change to?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 11, 2009 8:06 pm

big boar, little man wrote:Ok guys bit of advice please. Sprockets are starting to get abit tired, and I've lost a tooth. I ride mostly tight rocky trails with abit of forestry tracks thrown in. Currently using 14 47 if I counted right scratch Use only the first three gears normally. What shall I change to?
I have been running 14-48, which I understand was the standard and have always found 1st gear to be too tall starting off on steep slippy slopes where lots of clutch slip was required. I have just bought a 13 front and put that on to see what its like before I buy a new chain and sprockets.
I am finding the 13-48 much better on the trails and as I run full knobblies it still allows me to chug along on tarmac at 60MPH without it feeling as if I'm revving it up and going nowhere.
I'm going to go for 14 - 52 (which is a close match to 13-48) when I change as I suspect that a 13 front might wear the chain a bit quicker.
Best suggestion I can make is throw a 13 front on and give it a try before forking out on the full chain and sprockets.

Back to top Go down

Chain and sprockets Empty I converted mine ...

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 4:44 am

to a shaft drive from a Hinda CX650T.

And yes, my wife is out of town for the week and left me with a 14 month old and a 40 month old and a bottle of wine seemed appropriate after putting them to bed ... poor baby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Bump wrote:to a shaft drive from a Hinda CX650T.
And yes, my wife is out of town for the week and left me with a 14 month old and a 40 month old and a bottle of wine seemed appropriate after putting them to bed ... poor baby

Looks like you've got your hands full for a week. BRP smile Shit sticks to stuff better then grease Frustrated trust me I know, with rewashable nappies for our second one, its not as easy as folding it up and binning it s--t head
Are you kidding with the shaft drive?

Back to top Go down

Chain and sprockets Empty FDLOL

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 am

Yeah, I'm kidding about the shaft drive. But I had one of those bikes in college. It was huge fun and shredded rear tires. But was super pleasant at 75 all day long too. They didn't make many and parts are likely hard to come by. Or I'd consider getting another one.

big boar, little man wrote:
Bump wrote:to a shaft drive from a Hinda CX650T.

Looks like you've got your hands full for a week. BRP smile Shit sticks to stuff better then grease Frustrated trust me I know, with rewashable nappies for our second one, its not as easy as folding it up and binning it s--t head
Are you kidding with the shaft drive?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Ok guys I got my new chain and sprokets the other day. Went for a 14;52 in the end. Very impressed with the selection of gearing for my type of riding but, When I had a closer look after my first days riding it seems the back wheel is not sitting centre with the swingarm scratch When you line up the knobblies and the gap between them and the swingarm on each side its not even. The right sides about 8mm and the other sides about 15mm. Weird? When you free wheel the back tyre it seems to run true. I even pulled a string line between the front tyre sitting straight and the back one. They line up perfectly. The back wheel is set well forward with the new chain and all, and has actually chewed abit of the white plastic guard that stops dirt flying up into the motor. The is also evidence that the tyre has been touching the exhaust when I get abit of air.
Being a 120 its not a wide tyre. Suggestions please?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:41 pm

I have read somewhere, so it must be true Wink that the rear wheel should be as far forward as possible to improve handling. I guess you have found the limit. I have also ripped my plastic cover when I fitted an extra knobbly tyre.On another bike I replaced this plastic shock guard with some cushion flooring and that has been doing a great job ever since.
Are you sure that you have the wheel spacers the correct way around? I will try to remember to have a look at how my rear wheel is aligned in the swinging arm tomorrow evening.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Hew wrote:I have read somewhere, so it must be true Wink that the rear wheel should be as far forward as possible to improve handling. I guess you have found the limit. I have also ripped my plastic cover when I fitted an extra knobbly tyre.On another bike I replaced this plastic shock guard with some cushion flooring and that has been doing a great job ever since.
Are you sure that you have the wheel spacers the correct way around? I will try to remember to have a look at how my rear wheel is aligned in the swinging arm tomorrow evening.

Yeah maybe the wheel spacers are the wrong way round. But saying that how much gap are we looking at between the sprocket teeth and the side of the swing arm. Mines about 7mm. scratch Much more left and I reckon its too close.
The thing I'm thinking at the moment is that bike handles really well for me being 5 foot 8 and half, is actually standing 95% of the time and steering in the tight stuff on the back break. Turns really tight not having to streetch my little legs, only turning it over on the seat when my little legs allow.
Works for me, and riding the Xr is a really enjoyable ride.
How do you guys normally ride? I'm sure you taller guys must be in their ellement riding the big XRs nice The best fun and what actually what made me buy the Xr650 was riding my mates on the hard beaches in NZ. Wheeling on beaches is a breeze with the pig. Sad Missing the beaches now living in the middle of France.
What terrain are you riding? Some of those epic adventure posts on this forum are simply mythic to say the least from all corners of the globe!!
The styles of everybodys set up is suited to that persons riding style and terrain. Just comes to show how universal this machine is, with all the clever mods displayed on this forum and others like it. waiting Makes for good enjoyment. Keep it up guys!! 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down