Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub Frame is Cracked

Go down

Sub Frame is Cracked Empty Sub Frame is Cracked

Post  Guest Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Left Side:
Sub Frame is Cracked P1040064

Right Side:
Sub Frame is Cracked P1040065

But what can you expect from Honda I guess, they did not even completely weld around the insert, but they did that for the rear fender attachment *shrug*

Sub Frame is Cracked P1040066

Sub Frame is Cracked P1040067

It is off getting welded, the bro in-law knows a guy that does Aluminum. I think it will be done for free, if not just a fee bucks. It will be welded completely around the insert.

Back to top Go down

Sub Frame is Cracked Empty Unfortunately...

Post  Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:39 am

It looks like you got one of the Chinese XRRs from Wal-Mart.

Back to top Go down

Sub Frame is Cracked Empty Re: Sub Frame is Cracked

Post  Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:40 am

Sucks but at least you found it and it's an easy fix...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:08 am

Looks like it will be done Sunday :-( I have not heard of cost from the brother in-law so I am hoping free. Although I owe him a meal for all the help he has given and more to come. I guess a steak at the old Steak Smith is in order.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 am

Is going to be free, The Texas Roadhouse is acceptable (and cheaper). When you want to rewind the stator? Am I helping you do something tomorrow?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Well I thought you had to come over and get a check (money the wife owes your wife I guess), I figured you could help with some of the little stuff. I got the rear fender put together. I plan to install the rear sprocket, the rear wheel spacers, install the temp sensor, run the RPM wire, change the coolant, change the oil & filter, install the new skid plate and other then the sub frame that will be it...oh remove the stator and you can take it to wind, and then Baja Design rectifier will be here Monday I believe. Oh yeah I guess I will get the Zumo GPS mount installed and see where that will work best.

So yeah if you want to come over there is plenty to do. If you could stop by Dave's and see if my toolkit is in, I already paid for it that would save me miles on the car consider he is next to your house. Give me a call, I'll be in the garage.

Back to top Go down

Sub Frame is Cracked Empty Possible cause of subframe failures.

Post  Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:52 am

After getting Modettes subframe welded up, the welder who is a FAA certified welder told me 90% of the welds on the subframe are coldwelds. (for those that don't know the terminology a cold weld while it looks good on the outside lacks penetration to the base metals giving it a weak weld). Maybe this is the reason behind the failures.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:08 am

Here is the picture of the new weld and the Sub-Frame mounted to the bike.

Sub Frame is Cracked P1040085

Sub Frame is Cracked P1040086

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down