Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What gearing are you running?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What gearing are you running? - Page 2 Empty Re: What gearing are you running?

Post  Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 am

Have been trying a pretty broad range of gearing lately.

When I bought the bike it had 15/46 and was near running the needle off the speedo but no good for nice tight singles. Since then Ive tried 15/48, 14/48, 14/52 and have settled on 14/48 as the best compromise.

Just think some of the tight tracks weve been riding Im killing 1st gear alot and temp is coming up.

Anyone running 13/48? Interested in your thoughts in the scrub/bush/mud etc

Back to top Go down

What gearing are you running? - Page 2 Empty gearing

Post  Guest Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 am

must be something about Aus I run 15/43 ride the clutch in the bush cruse home 140 kph

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm

desertfox wrote:I am going to try 15/47, after my research and for the type of riding I intend to do mainly DS I feel this will be a good compromise. From what I can tell the stock chain length of 110 should still work and I will carry a 14 CS with me just in case. I am also putting a Revlock auto clutch on the XR as well.

I am just going to 15/47 - can anyone confirm that the stock chain (110?) works?

Regards
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm

BuRP wrote:Ha, yes Mauser, you can take the chain off & re-mount it again a tooth offset, by hand that is - but an odd numbered sprocket will do this 'automatically' every time the wheel turns.
Mind though, you can run even numbered sprockets (both!) and have the same, however you then must mount a "half-link" in it. This link is one-half inner and the other half is an outer - and this will result in an odd numbered chain link-wise, say not a 110 but a 109.
Just a joke, those half-links one should stay away from Wink

Aurora, post a pic of you doing this speed please? I just want to see you crouched behind the filler cap razz

Just took reception of an HRC cam & hicomp coated piston ...... YEEHAAAA!!!!!

Picture?

Will have to step up the the GoPro camera this winter? The 104 mph was on pavement.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:33 pm

SkidMark wrote:
desertfox wrote:I am going to try 15/47, after my research and for the type of riding I intend to do mainly DS I feel this will be a good compromise. From what I can tell the stock chain length of 110 should still work and I will carry a 14 CS with me just in case. I am also putting a Revlock auto clutch on the XR as well.

I am just going to 15/47 - can anyone confirm that the stock chain (110?) works?

Regards
SkidMark

I am going the same route , 15/47 seems god for DS riding , i dont do much forrest crowling ,i am on 14/48 now that works great off road . Will this be the correct gearing for the better chain life ? i am bit confused about the odd teeth gearing to get the chain move around the sprockets scratch

Also looking at the chains and got confused , i believe that the pig comes with 520/110 chain but some sellers tell you that the 520/120 its what you need , also did loads of reading on some forums and got even more confused , what chain are you lads using ? bow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 am

Here you go Sprocket Calculator

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Sean wrote:

Have been trying a pretty broad range of gearing lately.

When I bought the bike it had 15/46 and was near running the needle off the speedo but no good for nice tight singles. Since then Ive tried 15/48, 14/48, 14/52 and have settled on 14/48 as the best compromise.

Just think some of the tight tracks weve been riding Im killing 1st gear alot and temp is coming up.

Anyone running 13/48? Interested in your thoughts in the scrub/bush/mud etc

I rode on the 14/48 sprockets for a while then went to 15/47 to help keep the RPM's down on the highway. Out on tight overgrown trails that's the wrong way to go for sure. Before on 14/48 I was between 1st and 2nd all the time and now with 15/47 there's lots of lugging and clutch work going on. I think 13/48 would set you up nicely for 2nd gear and 3rd gear trail ripping. Cruising down the highway though, your XRR's going to be singing at highway speeds BRP smile That's my $0.02ยข

Oh, and check this site out to. I've used it for all my bikes and its got a lot of great info.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

EDIT:

BALLS! I just realized I replied to the last topic on the first page of the thread...

Check out gearing commander anyway nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2